WAIMEA — Firefighters responded to a structure fire shortly after midnight on Tuesday that ignited in a Waimea residence.
No one was home at the time, and no injuries were reported.
Multiple units from the Waimea, Hanapepe, Kalaheo, and Lihu‘e fire stations, along with the battalion chief, were dispatched to the scene on Pokole Road at approximately 12:20 a.m., where they found a single-story residence fully engulfed in flames and surrounding brush on fire.
Once on scene, firefighters also found a downed powerline actively arcing on the road. Kaua‘i Island Utility Cooperative was notified and responded to the scene.
A water supply was established and personnel were able to utilize master streams to contain the brush on fire. Once KIUC disconnected power and deemed the area safe, firefighters were able to fully extinguish the structure fire and the scene was cleared shortly after 3 a.m.
The structure is considered a total loss and damages to the structure and its contents are estimated to be roughly $150,000.
Source: The Garden Island