Press "Enter" to skip to content

Bail for Kailua-Kona man increased to $1M

KAILUA-KONA — A 57-year-old Kona man charged in connection with a North Kona standoff with police earlier this month had his bail increased 50-fold in another unrelated firearms case.

Kona Circuit Judge Robert D.S. Kim on Tuesday increased bail for Richard Denis Gorloff of Kailua-Kona, who is now being detained in lieu of $1 million. Gorloff’s bail in a prior reckless endangering and firearms case from early July was originally set at $20,000.

Kim didn’t expand on his decision to increase bail. The judge on Oct. 28 will take up a subsequent motion by prosecutors to revoke bail altogether in the case. An updated bail study also was ordered.

Gorloff was free after posting bail in the July firearms case when the nearly six-hour standoff with police occurred Oct. 10 at his Kona Coast View subdivision home. The standoff ended without incident.

He was charged Monday afternoon with first-degree terroristic threatening, second-degree terroristic threatening and violating an order of protection in connection with the incident. The charges were filed hours after Gorloff was released the same day from Kona Community Hospital, where he was receiving undisclosed treatment since being taken into custody.

On Tuesday, prior to appearing before Kim, Gorloff was brought to Kona District Court for his initial appearance on charges related to the Oct. 10 standoff incident. During the hearing, Kona District Judge Cynthia Tai set a preliminary hearing for today and maintained cash bail at $14,000.

Police were sent to Gorloff’s Ahulani Street home shortly before 9 a.m. Oct. 10 after receiving a report from the man’s ex-wife that he threatened to kill her. Gorloff refused to exit his residence and reportedly told officers if they came any closer, he would blow up the home.

Police stated that officers also observed Gorloff with a small propane tank and a 5-gallon gas can that was open and filled with an unknown liquid. He also appeared to be carrying a propane torch that was unlit and a flint striker.

According to court records, Gorloff at the time of the standoff was free on $20,000 bail in connection with the reckless endangering case that involved the discharge of firearms that occurred in July. Prosecutors motioned to revoke bail the following day, and a warrant was issued.

Gorloff faces charges of first-degree reckless endangering, first-degree criminal property damage, two counts of ownership of a firearm and/or ammunition when prohibited because of a protective or restraining order, two counts of failure to register a firearm and five counts of violating a protective order in the case. The alleged offenses are indicated to have occurred July 3-5.

Gorloff, according to the complaint, intentionally fired a firearm recklessly, placing a minor in danger of death or serious bodily injury, and damaged a pickup truck and/or window “by means other than fire” on July 3.

Kim also set a new date in December to rule on Gorloff’s fitness to proceed in the July case.

Email Chelsea Jensen at
Source: Hawaii Tribune Herald

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: