Press "Enter" to skip to content

Convicted teen waits for minimum term decision

KAILUA-KONA — One of two teens sentenced to up to two decades in prison for raping a woman at Kona park is still waiting to learn how much time he must serve behind bars before becoming eligible for parole.

Samuel Latrik, 19, of Kailua-Kona, is incarcerated at Halawa Correctional Center on Oahu after being sentenced in February to serve up to 20 years in prison for the 2016 rape of a woman on the soccer field at Old Kona Airport Park.

The Hawaii Paroling Authority, which is tasked with setting minimum terms for parole-eligible offenders, among other duties, has until early August to determine how much time Latrik has to serve before he can apply for parole.

Toni Schwartz, public information officer for the Department of Public Safety, under the auspices of which the Hawaii Paroling Authority lies, said a minimum term-setting hearing previously scheduled for June 6 had to be rescheduled after Latrik’s May 16 transfer from Hawaii Community Correctional Center to the Oahu medium-security and special needs facility.

The parole board will now take up the matter during a hearing July 8 at Halawa Correctional Center, Schwartz said.

His scheduled release date, if not granted parole prior, is Aug. 5, 2038.

Latrik was sentenced Feb. 4 by Kona Circuit Court Judge Robert D.S. Kim to up to 20 years in prison.

He pleaded guilty and no contest to charges on Nov. 29, 2018, mid-trial after the victim took the stand and testified about the night of the assault.

Latrik entered guilty pleas first-degree sexual assault, second-degree assault, kidnapping, third-degree sexual assault and third-degree attempted sexual assault.

He also pleaded no contest to terroristic threatening, first-degree sexual assault and robbery.
Source: Hawaii Tribune Herald

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: