Press "Enter" to skip to content

County: Out-of-state vehicles need permits

LIHU‘E — County officials remind the public of the requirements for out-of-state vehicles to operate on Kaua‘i.

“We are seeing an abundance of out-of-state vehicles on our roads, including rental cars, that are operating without the required blue, out-of-state vehicle permit and safety-check stickers,” county Finance Department Director Reiko Matsuyama said. “It’s important to ensure that the vehicle you are driving is compliant to state law, or you risk being ticketed and fined.”

To operate a vehicle on Kaua‘i that is currently registered in another state, the owner of the vehicle must comply with the following conditions:

• Obtain a Hawai‘i motor vehicle insurance identification card through an insurance carrier;

• Obtain a state of Hawai‘i safety-inspection certificate by taking the vehicle, along with the insurance card and out-of-state registration, to an official safety-inspection station;

• Obtain an out-of-state vehicle permit from the Finance Department’s Motor Vehicle Registration Division within 30 days of the vehicle’s arrival on island.

• Info:, click on “Out of State Transfers” under the Vehicle Services category
Source: The Garden Island

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: