Press "Enter" to skip to content

Judge orders curfew, electronic monitoring as bail conditions for stabbing suspect

A 25-year-old Hilo woman stabbed repeatedly Thursday, allegedly by her ex-boyfriend, suffered a lacerated kidney, lacerated liver, a fractured rib and thoracic injuries, according to court documents filed by police.

Cheylee Octavio sustained “serious and substantial bodily injury” according to documents, which also said a Hilo Medical Center emergency room physician told police her injuries were life threatening.

Cyrus Jabilona, 24, is charged with attempted second-degree murder and felony domestic abuse for the attack — which according to documents and Octavio’s family, happened in front of her 4-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son, the latter fathered by Jabilona.

According to Octavio’s sister, Choncie-Lynn Agbayani, Octavio was at Jabilona’s Kimo Street home to retrieve her children when the attack occurred.

Documents state a search warrant was served on Jabilona’s home and a kitchen knife with a silver blade and dark-colored handle, believed to be the weapon used in the attack, was recovered in the kitchen.

Octavio’s daughter — who allegedly referred to Jabilona as “Daddy” — told personnel at the Children’s Justice Center it was Jabilona’s fault, according to documents.

The girl reportedly told an interviewer Jabilona “was yelling at Mommy, Mommy was running away from Daddy and blood was all over,” documents state.

Members of both families crowded a courtroom Monday with extra sheriff’s deputies on hand to ensure order and that both families exited separately.

Jabilona pleaded not guilty to both charges.

Deputy Prosecutor Andrew Son said the state is “concerned about the safety of the victim and also any prospective witnesses.”

In addition to standard bail terms and conditions, Son asked Hilo District Judge Jeffrey Hawk that if Jabilona should post his $525,000 bail that he be required to stay home between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. and be subject to electronic monitoring.

Honolulu attorney Michael Green, who’s representing Jabilona, said he doesn’t “see any reason for a curfew or a tracking monitor.”

Son said Octavio suffered “multiple life-threatening injuries.”

He expressed “serious concern for her immediate safety.”

Hawk ordered the curfew and electronic monitoring as conditions of bail and ordered Jabilona to return at 2 p.m. Wednesday for a preliminary hearing.

Jabilona remained in custody at Hawaii Community Correctional Center as of early Monday evening.

A account set up by Agbayani for Octavio’s medical expenses had raised $17,200 — more than double its $8,000 goal — by Monday afternoon.

The GoFundMe page is titled “Cheylee’s road to recovery.”

Email John Burnett at
Source: Hawaii Tribune Herald

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: