NAWILIWILI — Kapaa High School paddling teams took three of the six events, Waimea took two, and Kauai emerged with one win during the Kauai Interscholastic Federation distance regatta on Saturday at Nawiliwili Harbor.
“I am thankful that we are at Nawiliwili this year for the long distance races,” said Mia Pauletto, race director. “It is a better spectator view, and I feel the paddlers have to step up their training. I am grateful the harbormaster has allowed us to be there.”
The Red Raider junior varsity girls improved to its second win when its JV girls stroked to a 13:00win over the two-mile long distance course, finishing nearly 22 seconds over challenging Kapaa JV girls who crossed at 13:22.28.
Kapaa High School topped the day’s wins with three after its JV Boys team stroked to an 11:12:25 finish, just .32 second faster than the Waimea A team (11:12.57). The Warriors JV Mixed took advantage of an Island School disqualification to lock up that division race, and the Warriors Varsity Girls handily beat out Kauai High School and Waimea teams by more than two minutes on the course that spans four miles for varsity paddlers.
Waimea High School rebounded to take the Varsity Boys on a 32:23.98 run, more than a minute ahead of Kapaa’s challenge. The Menehune rounded out the day with a win in Varsity Mixed when its A team crossed the line on a 35:07.10 run, more than two minutes ahead of the Warriors’ A team.
Following two weeks of paddling, Kauai has two consecutive wins, Kapaa has three consecutive wins, and Waimea has two back-to-back victories.
The KIF closes its distance regatta at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Nawiliwili Harbor.
Spectators are welcome to watch the action from the levy corraling the moored boats.
Following the winter break, the KIF hosts its sprint regatta on the Wailua River starting at 9 a.m. on Jan. 11.
• Junior Varsity Girls: Kauai A (13:00:35), Kapaa A (13:22:28), Waimea A (14:09:64)
• Junior Varsity Boys: Kapaa A (11:12:25), Waimea A (11:12:57), Kauai A (11:59:80), Waimea B (13:05:52)
• Junior Varsity Mixed: Kapaa A (DQ-finish in wrong lane), Waimea A (-), Kauai A (12:20:11), Kapaa B 12:28:45), Kapaa C (12:34:34), Waimea B (13:52:61), Kauai B (12:46:62)
• Varsity Girls: Kapaa A (37:47:23), Kauai A (39:16:49), Waimea A (39:23:27), Kapaa B (43:52:18)
• Varsity Boys: Waimea A (32:23:98), Kapaa A (33:33:73), Kauai A (34:13:08), Island A (34:25:00), Waimea B (11:13:80), Kapaa B (11:27:42), Island B (11:40:78)
• Varsity Mixed: Waimea A (35:07:10), Kapaa A (37:17:61), Kauai A (38:13:-), Island A (DQ-interference), Waimea B (11:40:52) Kauai B (12:05:14), Kapaa B (12:23:11)
Dennis Fujimoto, staff writer and photographer, can be reached at 245-0453 or email@example.com.
Source: The Garden Island
Be First to Comment