Press "Enter" to skip to content

KPD continues quarantine arrests

LIHU‘E — As of Friday, Kaua‘i police have arrested three people for violating the state’s mandatory, 14-day quarantine order.

The most recent occurred Friday, when police arrested 31-year-old Bobby Edwards of Boynton, Florida.

According to a preliminary report, Edwards arrived on Kaua‘i from Honolulu on Friday via Hawaiian Airlines. Upon arrival, Edwards was unable to produce acceptable proof of lodging to Lihu‘e Airport personnel. After being advised that he would need to produce proof of accommodations, he refused.

The report also indicates that Edwards was exhibiting belligerent behavior toward airport personnel and toward officers during his arrest. Edwards was also showing significant signs of intoxication and was not being cooperative.

He not only faces criminal charges for violating an emergency order but also for disorderly conduct.

Edwards was not displaying symptoms of COVID-19 but Kaua‘i police followed proper safety guidelines and protocol during his arrest and transport.

Edwards is currently being held in cellblock.

Once he’s released from custody, he will be required to either quarantine in proper accommodations, leave the island or face arrest for subsequent offense under the governor’s order.

Thursday, KPD arrested 50-year-old Devin Martin of Olympia, Washington.

According to a preliminary report, Martin arrived on Kaua‘i on Thursday via Alaska Airlines from Washington. He was contacted by airport security upon his arrival and advised of the 14-day quarantine. He did not have reservations for proper accommodations and he allegedly refused to find suitable lodging.

The Hawai‘i Tourism Authority alerted the Kaua‘i Police Department of his
violation of the 14-day quarantine, and he was subsequently arrested.

Martin did not display signs or symptoms of illness but he was brought to Wilcox Medical Center for clearance prior to his incarceration. Kaua‘i police also followed the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the state Department of Health guidelines as far as personal protective equipment is concerned, during the man’s transport.

Martin was held in cellblock and was expected to return to the mainland on Friday.
Source: The Garden Island

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: