KAPA‘A — The county Department of Public Works and Grace Pacific LLC announced that portions of Mailihuna, Hau‘a‘ala and Kawaihau roads will be closed, and detours will be put in place from Monday through Thursday, Nov. 7 to 10, from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
In observance of the Election Day and Veterans Day holidays, no work will occur on Nov. 8 and Nov. 11.
The intersection of the three roads will experience temporary traffic shifts, and temporary traffic control plans will be in place as construction of the new roundabout continues. No road work will occur during the peak traffic times for school drop-offs and pick-ups.
Over the next several weeks, traffic control configurations around the intersection will change as construction progresses. Various sections of the roundabout will require closing, and the detour routes will vary through each phase of construction.
The project aims to construct a peanut-shaped intersection, sidewalks, paved shoulders and various other roadway improvements to help improve the safety and operations of the five-way intersection of these three roads, and for people using multiple modes to travel efficiently and safely through the roads.
The roundabout portion of the project has an estimated completion date of November 2022. The project as a whole has an estimated completion date of July 2023. Dates and times are subject to change depending on weather and other factors. Anyone with questions or concerns may contact Junard Mata of Grace Pacific, at 808-694-9784;
• On Tuesday, Nov. 8, and Friday, Nov. 11, in observance of Election Day and Veterans Day, no roadwork is scheduled and the Kuhio Highway southbound contraflow will not operate.
• A roving, single-lane closure on Kaumuali‘i Highway is possible in either direction between mile markers 2.9 and 4, Kipu Road and Pu‘uana Road, Monday through Wednesday, Nov. 7 to 9, and Thursday, Nov. 10, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., for grass trimming.
• A lane shift and possible single-lane closure on Kuhio Highway in the westbound direction between mile markers 1.3 and 1.5, Kapaia Road and Noku Street, is possible Wednesday, Nov. 9, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., for sewer manhole work.
• A right-shoulder closure and narrowed lanes of Kuhio Highway in the southbound direction between mile markers 5.7 and 6.7, in the vicinity of Leho Drive and the Kapa‘a bypass road, is possible, for the Kuhio Highway Short-Term Improvements. Full closure of northbound lanes of Kuhio Highway between Kuamo‘o Road and Haleilio Road for the Kuhio Highway Short-Term Improvements will take place Monday through Wednesday, Nov. 7 to 9, and Thursday, Nov. 10, from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. There will be one lane available in each direction.
• The Department of Public Works and its contractor Maui Kupono Builders announced that portions of Halaulani Road in Kalihiwai will be closed Thursday, Nov. 10 to Tuesday, Nov. 15, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., weather permitting.
• The Department of Public Works and its contractor Maui Kupono Builders announced that portions of Opu Road and Lae Road in Kalaheo will be closed Monday to Wednesday, Nov. 7 to 9, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., weather permitting.
Source: The Garden Island