Press "Enter" to skip to content

Multiple rescues happen on North Shore

PRINCEVILLE — First responders conducted multiple rescues on the North Shore on Saturday.

Firefighters were notified of the first report of three residents in distress at Queen’s Bath in Princeville at approximately 3:15 p.m.

“The three individuals rescued yesterday at Queen’s Bath are extremely fortunate, given the dangerous ocean conditions,” said Kaua‘i Fire Department Deputy Chief Michael Gibson.

“Mahalo to our first responders for their quick and efficient response to the incident. Although the Kaua‘i Fire Department in October 2021 locked the access gate to Queen’s Bath due to hazardous ocean conditions and the winter swell, many people continue to bypass the gate. We urge the public that entry in these hazardous conditions can result in injuries or drownings and puts the lives of the public and our first responders at risk.”

The access gate remains locked through spring 2022 or until deemed safe.

All three patients suffered multiple lacerations, with one patient experiencing mouth injuries while being swept into the hazardous ocean conditions.

Personnel with the Princeville fire station, KFD Ocean Safety Bureau roving ocean patrol, rescue specialists from the Lihu‘e fire station, the emergency helicopter and American Medical Response all responded.

According to a preliminary report, first responders responded to a surf rescue involving a 17-year-old male and two 16-year-old female residents.

First responders arrived on scene at 3:20 p.m. and discovered two females and one male in distress near the area known as the horseshoe at Queen’s Bath. After multiple attempts to verbally guide the trio to traverse to a safer location, it was later deemed unsafe due to the hazardous surf.

Two of the swimmers were able to swim and climb aboard an island structure in the middle of the horseshoe. They were instructed to remain on the horseshoe until first responders could safely rescue them.

The remaining swimmer remained in place until Air 1 arrived. Shortly after, Princeville firefighters and rescue personnel aboard the emergency helicopter rescued the three swimmers via Billy Pugh net and transported them to a landing zone at the Princeville Makai Golf course.

AMR personnel treated the patients on the scene before they were transported to a local hospital.

First responders responded to a second rescue at approximately 4:30 p.m. involving a 45-year-old male visitor from Austria who was rescued off Kalalau Beach.

Personnel with the Princeville fire station, Lihu‘e rescue specialists and the emergency helicopter responded.

Rescuers arrived on scene at approximately 5:30 p.m. and discovered the patient with a knee injury who could not hike out on the Kalalau Trail. Once on scene, the rescue helicopter transported the hiker and his wife to Princeville Airport. The patient declined medical treatment. Because both patients were boarded, one rescuer stayed behind at Kalalau Beach before being retrieved by the rescue helicopter.
Source: The Garden Island

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: