Press "Enter" to skip to content

Police fatally shoot second suspect within a week

The Hawaii Police Department said officers fatally shot a suspect Friday in Hilo, the second police-involved shooting within a week.

According to a police statement, officers responded at 11:20 a.m. to a residential break-in at the 1800 block of Kilauea Avenue in Hilo. Officers who entered the vacant home encountered a man armed with two knives hiding in a bedroom, police said.

The suspect, whom police didn’t identify, cut an officer on the arm with one of the knives. Two officers fired their duty weapons, killing the suspect, according to police.

The injured officer was taken to Hilo Medical Center for treatment and was in stable condition following the incident, police said.

Police have closed a portion Kilauea Avenue for at least three hours while the Criminal Investigation Division and Office of Professional Standards — the department’s internal affairs unit — investigated at the scene.

The statement asked for patience as the investigation continues and added the department’s thoughts are with the affected families.

Police Chief Paul Ferreira didn’t return a phone call in time for this story.

Big Island Mayor Mitch Roth released his own statement late Friday afternoon.

“First and foremost, I would like to extend my sincerest appreciation to our men and women in blue who risk their lives daily for the health and safety of our community here on Hawaii Island,” Roth said. “The events that took place this week are extremely rare and stark reminders of the threats that each officer faces when they step out their door and away from their families every day.

“On both occasions, officers were attacked and their lives threatened. On both occasions, officers secured the scene and did what was necessary to protect themselves and neighboring community members from harm.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the fallen, as we know no loss of life goes without grief. As we move forward from tragedy, I ask that we remember that we are all one ‘ohana and that by building stronger, healthier, and happier communities, we can hope to avoid tribulations such as these in the future.”

Friday’s incident happened just five days after 34-year-old Ryan Santos, who police say shot at officers responding Sunday evening to a domestic incident call, was shot and killed in the Wainaku neighborhood of Hilo. Santos’ 91-year-old grandfather, Ichiro “Bobby” Nakamura, died of a cardiac arrest suffered during the incident, an autopsy found.

Anyone with information on Friday’s shooting is asked to contact Detective Jeremy Kubojiri at 961-2378 or via email at

Those who prefer anonymity can call Crime Stoppers at 961-8300.
Source: Hawaii Tribune Herald

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: