LIHUE — Road closures and delays are scheduled on Kauai throughout July, as both county and state crews and contractors are doing road work. Closures are also a result of scheduled community cleanups.
Work on Kawaihau Road in Kapaa starts July 8, Maluhia Road (Tree Tunnel road) will be closed July 13, and nightly closures of Kuhio Highway at Waipa Bridge are scheduled for July 8 – 11, leading up to a full weekend closure of Kuhio Highway July 12-15.
All work is weather-permitting.
The state Department of Transportation announced nightly closures of Kuhio Highway at Waipa Bridge between 7:30 p.m. and 5 a.m. the following morning for July 8-11. These nightly closures will lead up to the full weekend closure of Kuhio Highway between Waipa Bridge and the end of the road July 12-15.
DOT contractors will be installing speed humps leading up to the Waioli, Waipa and Waikoko Bridges on the North Shore as traffic-calming pilot measures. This will be the first time speed humps will be installed on a state highway on Kauai.
During the closures at Waipa Bridge, there will be no vehicular access to the highway. Pedestrian access, park and ride facilities, and a shuttle will be provided for residents and authorized transient vacation rental guests.
Additionally, motorists are advised of the following:
• The Waipa park and ride created to provide access to residents and authorized TVR guests during the Waikoko Bridge night work and full closure is only open for residents and authorized TVR guests. All vehicles remaining at this site when the road reopens for the day should be removed.
• All motorists are asked to observe posted speed limits, and to slow down and obey traffic flaggers at Waikoko and Waipa Bridges for their safety and the safety of the workers.
Portions of Kawaihau Road will be closed July 8 – July 19 for road construction on weekdays, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Flaggers will be positioned to assist motorists during the closures, which will take place at the following locations:
• Kawaihau Road, in the vicinity of Kuhio Highway and Mimilo Road, July 8-9;
• Kawaihau Road, in the vicinity of Mimilo Road and Nunu Road, July 10-11;
• Kawaihau Road, in the vicinity of Nunu Road and Mailihuna Road, July 12-15.
For the fourth phase of work, one lane of alternating traffic will be maintained at the following location:
• Kawaihau Road, in the vicinity of Mailihuna Road and Kahana Street, July 16-19.
A community cleanup scheduled on July 13 is causing closure of Maluhia Road, from Kaumualii Highway to Ala Kinoiki junction from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
During the road closure, traffic will be diverted to Piko, Omao and Koloa roads. Motorists should allow for extra travel time and follow speed limits and all traffic signs.
The road closure will allow community groups to conduct their annual cleanup in preparation for Koloa Plantation Days. In addition, the County of Kauai Department of Public Works Roads Division will be present for roadside maintenance work.
Source: The Garden Island