NAWILIWILI — Waimea High paddling teams dominated the Kaua‘i Interscholastic Federation paddling event Saturday at the Nawiliwili Small Boat Harbor and the mouth of the Hule‘ia River.
After finishing second to the Island School varsity boys in the day’s opening long-distance race, Menehune paddlers went on to take top finishes in four of the six events that unfolded under misty, rainy conditions.
The Voyager men took advantage of the scheduling change to accommodate their participation in boys soccer, and lost little time in carving out a lead that withstood the rain and gloomy conditions. The Island School varsity boys crossed the 4-mile, two-lap distance finish line in 24 minutes, 6.19 seconds.
The Voyagers were not through yet.
Following a third finish in the varsity girls (31:19.79) race, the Voyagers’ mixed crew mixed it up with the Menehune, who finished first on a 25:24.80 run. The Voyagers settled for the runner-up slot just 28 seconds back at 25:52.74.
Following the second-place finish in the opening race, Waimea roared back in the varsity girls race to finish with a 27:48.02 run over the Kaua‘i High varsity girls, who crossed at 28:54.80 with its “chop suey” team comprised of two separate teams being combined to form a single team.
Waimea went on to take top finishes in the junior varsity boys two-mile race, in 12:15.76, and the JV mixed, (14:21.72), where the Menehune squeezed out Kapa‘a by less than 10 seconds.
Kaua‘i High’s JV girls took the division when its A team crossed at 14:27.98 over the Raiders’ B team.
The next KIF paddling event is scheduled for Saturday at the Nawiliwili Harbor starting at 9 a.m. This is the final long-distance race before the sprints starting Feb. 5 at the Wailua River.
• Varsity boys: 1. Island School (24:06.19), 2. Waimea (25:23.73), 3. Kapa‘a (26:22.96)
• Varsity girls: 1. Waimea (27:48.02), 2. Kaua‘i (28:54.80), 3. Kapa‘a (29:09.61) 4. Island School (31:19.79)
• Varsity mixed: 1. Waimea (25:24.80), 2. Island School (25:52.74), 3. Kapa‘a (27:18.83), 4. Waimea B (27:37.93)
• JV boys: 1. Waimea (12:15.76), 2. Kapa‘a (13:29.49), 3. Kaua‘i (14:53.46)
• JV girls: 1. Kaua‘i A (14:27.98), 2. Kaua‘i B (15:26.36)
• JV mixed: 1. Waimea (14:21.72), 2. Kapa‘a (14:30.96), 3. Kaua‘i (14:46.13)
Source: The Garden Island